Sunday, July 13, 2008

Running in the footsteps of Olympians....

I am not an Olympian although I have ran in their footsteps. Today was one of the those days and the thought crossed my mind midway through my hour ran around Rithet's bog. A multiple Olympian has ran through this trail time and time again.

As fro me, its been a couple of rest days as I have been assessing an achilles issue (not fully blown into an injury). I have been out briefly and each time I have been resisting the urge to speed. Today, I went through broadmead enjoying the shelter of the trees as the sun beat down on the earth. My steps were light, lungs full but I felt the strain of the achilles on each step. I guess I can't complain nor do I know what disappointment is until I train hard and not achieve some arbitrary standard (set by an athletics organization) and be injured at a critical time before achieving the standard. There have been a lot of disappointments lately and only the strong (and lucky) will be able to get through this (...here is wishing them all the luck), last the 4 years before the next olympics and achieve their goals. This sport of ours is full of ups and downs. We train on hills to get stronger, surge on the downhills and like a roller coaster enjoy every moment of it. Hope you enjoyed your run today.

No comments: